Saturday, November 22, 2008

First Day of School

Thursday was Eve's first day of school! Well, actually she is going to Mother's Day Out two mornings a week at a local Baptist church, but it is school to her. I took the day off so that I could be the one to take her and pick her up on the first day. Daddy ended up coming, too. We had a yummy breakfast of chocolate-chocolate chip muffins (per Eve's request) and watched "Max and Ruby" and Eve's new favorite, "Toot and Puddle." Afterwards it was time to get ready. Eve was dressed in a new outfit from Gymboree (my favorite store and one of my reasons for working) and ahe looked like such a big girl with her backpack on her back.
When we got there she waltzed right into class and started playing. Jay and I gave her a kiss and told her goodbye. She didn't even get up from her coloring, but waved and said, "Bye, Mommy! Bye, Daddy!" I told her I was sorry she was so upset to see us go and her teacher just had to laugh.Supposedly, Daddy had to run an errand at some point in the morning so he drove by the school. He saw all the kids on the playground and stopped to watch. He noticed a child who looked like Eve, but she had on the wrong jacket. Sure enough some other kid had on Eve's precious coat and scarf and she had on another random one. When I went to pick her up she was busily playing. Her teacher said, "Eve had a good first day. Of course, all of this is new to her and it will take a few days for her to get used to our routine and the way we do things. She loved playing outside. She didn't even want to come in." Now, Jay and I are teachers which means we are skilled at the art of decoding teacher comments (for all you parents out there... always read between the lines... we have dreamed up lots of nice ways to put things so that you won't really know what we think.) In this case I will interpret, "Eve had a very hard time listening, following directions and changing activities. Additionally, she threw a fit when we made her come in from the playground."
Overall Eve had a good first day and she is looking forward to going back to school. I realized when we dropped her off that she really didn't need Jay and me there half as much as we needed us to be there. Education is a really big deal to us (obviously) and we want Eve to know that learning is an important part of life. This was certainly a milestone! She's growing up very fast and that IS NOT okay with me!

No comments: