Sunday, July 20, 2008

Church

Eve has become much more aware of the church services going on around her each Sunday and Wednesday. Sometimes she will give the play-by-play, "Wook, mommy! People praying!" "Wisten, Mommy! Daddy singing!" She loves the singing most. This morning she asked, "Mommy, what Mr. Todd doing?" Mr. Todd is our song leader who does an awesome job. Tonight we had a song service and after every song Eve would say, "We gonna sing some more songs, Mommy?" When I would tell her yes she would get excited. Today when the Lord's Supper was passed she asked, "Time to eat, Mommy?" She wanted some of the grape juice, but I told her it was only for grown-ups. So, I gave her the usual quarter and she announced, "Wook! Here it comes! Here comes the baksick!" and she dropped her quarter in happily. She loves Sunday school and I always get a good report on her behavior. Today the teacher even said she was a good helper! (Now, I am a teacher and I know what this really means... She was the brown-nosing, bossy daughter of two teachers who kept her know-it-all nose in everyone's business and "helped" her friends with their papers.) The best comment she has made in a while came after the sermon today. Last week, two people came forward to be baptized and Eve watched the event with great interest. So, this week, when someone came forward to only ask for prayers Eve expected more action. After Mr. John led a prayer, Mr. Todd began leading a song at which point Eve asked, "Is somebody gonna go swimming?"
I certainly appreciate the humor of seeing our church services from a two-year-old point of view, but my heart is warmed by the under-lying point. Even at the age of two Eve is noticing what is happening around her and is learning about something that Jay and I hope will one day be the center of her life... God. The icing on the cake is that in her own way she is beginning to take part in church and, to some extent, enjoy it!


In these pics Eve was practicing her ballet (like Ruby does) before church this evening. They are blurry because she was in constant motion and had trouble balancing in a pose long enough for my camera to capture it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Never did tell you, but I think the church story is hilarious!! I also love her "Ruby" ballet! I can't wait to see and spend time with her (and you and Jay) next weekend.