I have passed this strange pile in our living room several times in the past 24 hours and haven't thought much about it. As I began to move the pieces I realized that this wasn't just a random pile of stuff, but a strategic configuration that carefully hides our little red stool. Here's what I uncovered:
I now find myself thinking two things.
1. When do kids learn that if you do something wrong you should hide it? I mean, I didn't teach Eve to cover up mistakes or bad choices. She just knows to do it. Ironically it reminds me of the first Eve in the Bible who knew to cover herself after eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and I realize that my Eve knows... she has knowledge of her wrong-doing so she tried to cover it. Wow. Pretty powerful. Eve has a lot to learn about admitting when she makes a mistake and I have a lot to learn about parenting her.
And what was my second thought, you ask?
2. Note to self... if you are going to go to the trouble to use toys, small furniture and large gift bags to hide something upon which you drew with (probably permanent) marker... Don't use anything with your name on it as part of the cover-up. :)
2 comments:
In her defense, i think it was an accident! :) I think that paper in front with her name on it lines up exactly with that stray mark on the stool... (all that training with the JBI - haha)
Can't wait to hear part two of this story - eve's defense!
I'm with Sarah! It is kind of a sad moment when you realize they have that knowledge. We still find that to be one of the most frustrating things as parents...trying to get them to overcome that urge to be sneaky. Hopefully before they're teenagers! :) So what did Eve have to say??
Post a Comment