Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Defense & The Verdict

When Eve returned from the State Fair last Sunday I asked her about the red stool. She nonchalantly said, "Oh, it's in the living room." I followed her into the living room and asked, "What is this pile of stuff?" After a hesitation and a stutter or two she replied, "Oh, I was building a house... for my markers... see? I can put all my markers inside... right here under the red stool..." I held in my laughter to say very seriously, "Eve, that's not what it looks like to me. It looks like you were trying to hide the red stool."
At this point Eve plopped down in the floor and after a long pause said, "Mommy, you know, sometimes I color on things I'm not supposed to?" I said, "Uh-Huh, and what happens when you do that?" Eve answered, "You put my markers on top of the fridge," and then realization hits, "Are they already on top of the fridage?" I nodded. "Will they be there for one hundred days?!?!"
We had a talk about what we should really do if we make a bad choice or a mistake and this judge decides to inflict only a 3-day-no-marker punishment (because, after all, the jusge provided the markers in the first place... but that's a whole other issue unto itself).

No comments: