Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dinner for Four

No one ever mentioned how difficult it could be to prepare dinner for a family of four! Since high school basketball season is underway, Daddy is busy every afternoon/evening so it is just me and my girls. Last night was my first attempt at cooking supper alone. Leah was abnormally fussy (or "fuzzy" as Eve calls it) and kept spitting out her pacifier. I tried turning her swing thinking the TV might provide some entertainment and then went so far as to pop in a Baby Einstein DVD (this only brought Eve into the room who wanted to watch it). After rushing from the kitchen to put the paci back in about 5 times between cutting up raw chicken, putting pasta on to boil and repeated hand-washing, I had broken a sweat (which I felt compelled to text Jay about... just so he would know)!
Finally, desparate and exasperated, I looked at Eve (who was standing idly in the kitchen) and said, "Could you please go give Leah back her pappy?" Eve replied quite matter-of-factly, "No, I can't because I am trying to ask you a question." Ignoring the baby's cry for the moment I said, "Well, then ask away." Eve asked, "Why did the chicken cross the street?" I smiled and said, "Why?" She answered, "To get to the other side!" then died laughing obviously proud of herself for delivering the punchline.
Just in time for dinner to be done, Leah drifted off to sleep in her swing and Daddy came home to dinner on the table and Eve and me peacefully waiting there. Jay innocently looked around and said, "So things were hectic around here?"
What a winter this will be...
(Just had to include this pic... too cute!)

8 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh dear, dear Hannah...not only did no one tell me how hard it would be with 2 children...someone actually had the nerve to flat out lie to me and tell me that "two really isn't that much different than one!"

Oh.My.Goodness! Well, obviously, I found out the hard way that I had been deceived. Now, the 3rd one wasn't that much different, but the 2nd? Wow!

I think you should consider it quite an accomplishment that you actually finished the dinner and had it on the table when Jay arrived home!

I don't know why, but it always seems babies are the "fuzziest" right around dinner time. But, as long as you have Eve to tell you jokes, you should get through with flying colors!

God bless your sweet little family of 4!

Melanie said...

If anyone told you how hard it would be, you a) wouldn't believe them, or b) would never have a 2nd child! :) Now if only you can get Eve multi-tasking like you are, you'll have her entertaining you AND on paci-patrol at the same time and have it MADE! Seriously, congrats on getting a meal on the table! And for having things under control enough that it at least LOOKED like it hadn't been hectic...

Leah is ADORABLE!!! Love the picture!

Sarah said...

Love the picture! Eve is too funny!!

Renee said...

Pop Eve into a pouch or carrier...it will save you life! Let me know if you'd like more insight! I didn't fear the arrival of baby #2 because I knew I could always strap one kid to my body! I still even put Kelsey in a carrier and she's 3.

Hannah said...

Thanks, Renee! I really thought about looking into that today. (Your comment does make me laugh, though. Eve is our 42 pound, 95th percentile in height/weight, size of an average kindergarterner, 3-year-old... I think I would much prefer to carry Leah in a carrier! LOL :) )

Renee said...

I guess I should have guessed since Jay IS her Daddy! A baby carrier is the way to go...just skip over the bjorn though!

Renee said...

By the way, in my first comment...I meant to pop Leah in, not Eve!

Hannah said...

I knew what you meant... the thought of popping Eve in anything just made me laugh! Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be getting a carrier! :)