Sunday, February 1, 2009

Normal?

Tonight feels strange. It is quiet in our house, but for a new reason. Tim, Emily and Zak have gone home. I am so happy their power is back and they are able to sleep in their own beds. I know they are ecstatic! But, I can't help feeling a little sad. Eve and Zak both cried when we told them tonight. We really had a fun week amidst all the craziness. I am glad they get to be home. I am glad my own house is straightened and well-lit. But, I just don't feel "normal" yet.
We head back to school tomorrow... just about the only district in the entire area. It is bitterweet in a way. It's a huge blessing that our city has power and water and everyday life can continue, but it feels almost unfair that so many others are still without daily necessecities and aren't even beginning to think of daily routines. With counties still in shambles around us, I just don't see how we can have a "normal" school day tomorrow.
I guess everyone reacts differently in times of crisis. I guess I worked so hard to act normal for Eve, to provide meals for my family, to accomodate our loved ones, to think one step ahead of the next bad thing to occur, that I didn't take the time to feel. Now it is all just hitting me at once... as I type online and watch the Super Bowl in my warm, lighted home alone with my own family and vaccumed carpets I think, "Whoa! Did all this really happen to us?" It is a let-down in a way after all the excitement of the week. Wild was "normal" for a short while, so actual "normal" seems unfamiliar.
BUT... I am NOT complaining!!
Only One was responsible for seeing us through to today and He deserves all the glory for those 21+ things from the week for which I am truly thankful! If "normal" means God watching over me and my family no matter the circumstance... I hope every day is a "normal" day!!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Many times through my time of raising kids, I would wonder, "What is Normal?" because what's normal to one is not to another. So, I understand your feeling...and also that feeling you're having for what has really transpired and for those who are still in such need. It shows your tender heart and love for your fellow man. Thanks be to God for that and for His keeping you and yours safe during this time...and for the lessons you've learned and the blessings you've received even during adversity.

God be with you this week and always.