We have officially survived the mass power outage that came as a result of the ice storm in Western Kentucky this week!!! There are many things about which I could complain here, but instead (as per my only new year's resolution) I will accentuate the positive. The following is a list of things I am thankful for tonight:
1. Our gas logs, gas stove and gas hot water heater.
2. The sun room -turned- walk in refrigerator.
3. That only two ice-laden limbs that fell in our yard... away from the house and cars.
4. That our power was among the last to go out at 3:15 a.m. Wednesday and was among the first to return tonight at 5:15 p.m.
5. TIM, EMILY and ZAK!!!!!! They have been without power longer and have been staying with us since Tuesday night. You truly don't know how much you love family until you live with them and I am proud to say I love them all dearly!
6. Emily's three suitcases full of food and our hot meals eaten by candle light.
7. Car chargers for DVD players and laptops so the kids could have some Mickey.
8. Grandad's knack for cooking on the grill! Yum!
9. Grammy's love for the kids and willingness to "take over" with them when we are tired (and that's not just during ice storms).
10. Grandma Byers's spirit, vitality and sense of humor.
11. Mom, Sarah and Kacey's caring prayerful hearts.
12. Jay and Tim's ability to make us all laugh at just the right time.
13. Flashlights, candles and the big orange basketball phone!!
14. Streetlights! Murray is dark and eerie without them!
15. T-Mac, Mike, Chad and everyone else who works for Murray Electric.
16. News Channel 6... on the radio.
17. Wednesday night church service... turns out you really miss it when you don't have it, especially when you need fellowship!
18. Our precious Eve and Zak who have been real troopers.
19. Snapfish books! (You better believe Emily and I are planning one for this experience already!)
20. The exact moment when I realized the power was back on and we all started jumping, dancing and shouting!
So, refer back to my title... It turns out that if you really look beyond the obvious negatives in a situation you will find that "God is Good All the Time, All the Time God is Good... Even during power outages and ice storms!"
3 comments:
I am glad that you all were able to find happy times during what could be quite miserable. You are lucky in the amount of time that you were without power...they are talking about surrounding counties that may have to wait 10-14 DAYS before regaining power. You can't find a gas powered heater around this place for anything!!
I'm sure I will talk to you tomorrow...we're out of school yet again. (most of the county is back to normal...but I guess there is some area, or maybe school, that is without power/water).
LOVE YA, SISTER!!
I am so glad you guys have your electricity back! We lived without it one time for several days and, eventually, the "Little House on the Prairie" aura left.
I loved your positive list of things you are thankful for. That is a testimony to your attitude and love for what's important.
I will look forward to seeing pictures later...
Amen.... It is all I have to say!!!
Post a Comment